Saturday 4 April 2015

THE PLAN - PART 1: THE BASICS

I've heard people say that you should limit yourself to a small variety of vegetables during your first gardening year (so that you can focus and really learn how to grow them properly) - but that doesn't sound like me at all. I say BRING ON THE VEGGIES!!! The more the better. I'll figure this all out as I go (yep that sounds more like my style).

So jumping in head first, here's what I'm hoping to be eating come summer, Part 1: The Basics


1. Kentucky Blue Pole Beans
I love green beans. Because they need to grow up some sort of trellis, I'm planning on planting these guys next to the corn. The pole beans will be able to use the corn stalks as their trellis, and the corn enjoys their company as the beans return nitrogen to the soil for the corn to use. VEGGIE SCIENCE!

2. Atlas Carrots
I'm not a huge carrot fan, but these are just the cutest little carrot balls! I tried to grow these on the balcony last year but there just wasn't enough sun and I didn't get a single carrot. If at first you don't succeed, try growing carrots again. That's the saying right?

3. Mirai 160Y Corn
This corn has received a LOT of hype for being the sweetest, most delicious corn ever. It isn't really grown in North America as it needs to be harvested by hand, but it's extremely popular in Japan on "boutique farms". I didn't know that Japan had boutique farms, but I did know that I had to get my hands on this corn. And good thing I bought my seeds early this year because it's now SOLD OUT!

4. Homemade Pickle Cucumbers
The name says it all - I will be trying to make pickles out of these bad boys. I have never made pickles before.


5. Lettuce, lettuce, and more lettuce
Because.... salads.


6. Parade Green Onions
I use green onions in everything - soups, salads, on baked potatoes, eggs, nachos, the list goes on. So versatile and super easy to freeze for use throughout the winter too.

7. Super Sugar Snap Peas
Called "super" because they are apparently supposed to yield twice as many pods as the regular variety. These things are my go-to healthy snack when you just want to mindlessly eat handfuls of something crunchy.

8. Summerpac Hybrid Squash
I picked this variety as they are supposed to be very heavy bearers throughout the summer, and only take 47 days to mature. I see a lot of zucchini noodles in my future!


What else will be in the garden?
THE PLAN - PART 2: THE PEPPERS
THE PLAN - PART 3: THE TOMATOES
THE PLAN - PART 4: THE WEIRDOS


No comments:

Post a Comment