Saturday 4 April 2015

THE PLAN - PART 2: THE PEPPERS

I may have gone a little bit overboard with the peppers this year. I was just so excited about my garden plot and how much space I will have now, and all of these peppers just looked so good! If all goes to plan I will have a super abundance of peppers for pickling, grilling, stuffing, and om nom noming.

Atris Hybrid Pepper
This is an Atris Hybrid pepper (for those who don't know, hybrid just means that it is a cross between different peppers, it does NOT mean that it is GMO/weird mutant food). It's a sweet pepper. How cool is this thing! They grow to be about 9 inches long and the plants are said to be super prolific. In fact, the description reads: "Vigorous and highly productive, this is one of the best peppers of any type you can grow". Well OK then, I'm sold!

Early Jalapeno Pepper
Next up is everyone's favourite nacho pepper, the Jalapeno. I picked a variety that is supposed to mature earlier than regular jalapenos, hence it's name. I also managed to keep a jalapeno pepper plant from last year's garden alive over this past winter (peppers are actually perennials if you bring them inside) and it's now ready to go back outside in the new garden. It's already flowering but I keep pinching off the buds so that it grows new leaves and gets bigger and bushier instead of putting all its energy into growing fruit right now. But I will definitely be getting an early batch of jalapenos from that plant once he goes into the ground!

Garden Salsa Hybrid Pepper
As the name implies, this is a hot pepper that is great for making salsa and spicy sauces. They are skinny and grow to be about 9 inches long. Apparently they are best for salsa when they are still green. As with other chili peppers, you can also dry them to use in recipes later.

Karma Hybrid Pepper
Yet another hybrid, but this one is a very large sweet red bell pepper that can measure 6 x 4 inches. That's a big pepper! I hope they are as big in flavour as they are in size. I will also be planting other colours of bell peppers from a "sweet rainbow mix" that I picked up, but I won't know what colour peppers I'm actually growing until the fruit show up since all the seeds were mixed together in one package.

Mariachi Hybrid Pepper
I really didn't realize how many hybrid peppers I picked out for this year...whoops. I guess I was lured in by their promises of early maturity and high-yields. I'll have to try more heirloom varieties next year. These Mariachi peppers are described as "fruity hot peppers" and "the heat has a rich, fruity underbite with hints of melon". What? Hot fruity melon peppers?! Clearly I had to get them to taste for myself.

Sahuaro Hybrid Pepper
Sahuaro peppers are big 9-inch fruits that are technically a hot pepper, but are mild enough that you could eat them raw or use them for stuffing or grilling. I hope these are good because I already have 5 of these seedlings growing in my living room - every seed that I planted germinated and I decided to keep them all. They are said to have "enormous yields" so I have a feeling I will be passing some of these along to friends and family throughout the summer!

Sweet Pickle Pepper
Last but not least is the Sweet Pickle Pepper. I grew one of these last year and like the jalapeno, I kept it alive over the winter and it is ready to go back outside now. I won't be planting more of these seeds this year since I honestly wasn't that impressed with the peppers last season - they were small and pretty tough, and not all that tasty. I kept the plant over the winter more as an experiment, but it ended up doing exceptionally well so back out it goes. Maybe with more sunlight and better growing conditions this year it will produce tastier fruit - is that a thing? Will that happen? I don't know. Sounds like it might make sense though.

And that concludes the list of peppers that will be gracing the plot this season. Am I insane? This is a lot of peppers. And I have multiple plants of each kind. Hope everyone likes peppers because I'm going to have LOTS!


What else will be in the garden?
THE PLAN - PART 1: THE BASICS
THE PLAN - PART 3: THE TOMATOES
THE PLAN - PART 4: THE WEIRDOS


No comments:

Post a Comment