Tuesday 28 April 2015

LET THE GARDENING BEGIN!

Yes that's right, I finally have my plot!

 I headed over to the Dempsey Community Center after work today - because frankly I was tired of traipsing around the allotment grounds trying to guess which one was mine - and asked for a map. The woman behind the counter said they didn't have any and then proceeded to hand me one. It was strange and I didn't understand, but I now had a map, so whatever. As I was leaving she told me that they were at the garden today numbering the plots. Yippeeeeee!!!

Now if you remember from a previous post, I showed pictures of overgrown lots and shanty shacks and piles of garbage, and wasn't exactly sure which plot was mine. As it turns out, none of them were. Apparently my map interpretation skills are not the strongest. I was pretty far off. Completely in the wrong row. Note to friends and family - do not ever partner with me for the Amazing Race.

Anyhow, I was absolutely DELIGHTED with the state of my actual plot. Allow me to introduce you to her just as I found her:

Here she is in all her glory
Isn't she great!!!! I can practically plant already! I just needed to clear the little bit of garbage and dead branches out, which I did this evening. She's looking better already:




The next step of course will be weeding, adding in compost, tilling, and then creating new rows. I'm hoping to be finished all of that by sometime next week, and then I can set up trellises and other supports, and then start planting my cold season veggies! I am dorkishly excited by all of this.

Funnily enough I also happened to meet the owner of the "garbage" plot today. Her name is Corona, she's from Bangladesh, and has been gardening in the Kilborn allotment SINCE I WAS BORN. No wonder she has accumulated so much trash (lol). But seriously. She's been gardening there since 1986 and has amassed a whopping 15 plots... she basically has a farm. Part of me thinks that's cool, but another part of me is angry that a single person is able to take up so much space when there were more than 30 people in line this year vying for a chance to get a plot when only 14 or 15 were even available. The land should be offered to more gardeners when the demand is so high, not hoarded by a select few members. But I digress... Corona was a lovely lady and we got talking, and that's when she informed me that my plot was shit. Like total shit.

*the sound of my bubble bursting*

Apparently all of the water from the surrounding plots tends to accumulate in mine, and after it rains the plot is practically flooded. Greeeeaaaaaat. I'll have to assess this as time goes on since it's still Spring and I'm going to chalk up the mucky wet ground to that for now... but I may need to come up with a plan for proper drainage if she's right. Which she probably is because she's been gardening there for LONGER THAN I'VE BEEN ALIVE. This is still blowing my mind.

Anyways, more updates to come as I get the plot in tip top shape over the next week or two! But for now I am pleased that I can at least get started and that the plants quickly outgrowing their pots in my living room will have somewhere to live by the end of May.

Yay!



No comments:

Post a Comment