Friday 15 May 2015

IS THIS WHAT HEAVEN LOOKS LIKE?

I found myself in the seed aisle at Ritchie Feed & Seed after work today. That place is magical. 

Where am I? Is this heaven?
Through some sort of miracle, I only bought what I went there for - some nasturtium seeds and inoculant for my peas. But don't think I didn't stand there for a good 15 minutes wondering what else I could fit in the plot...  I almost picked up a clematis that can grow in the shade for my balcony (most clematis require full sun) until I looked at the price and it was $30. Blegh. No thank you.

I took a break from the digging tonight and decided to try something sort of experimental. I've read that you can grow onions from old onions that have sprouted, and I seem to have bought a ton of onions at some point and never used them. These are 2 of about 7 onions that were neglected pretty much all winter:



I looked up online what you're supposed to do with these things, and it basically said to take off the onion skin and leave the bulb with the sprouts, and then plant it. So I unwrapped the gross layers until they were down to their bulbs - but I think I may have taken off too much. I think they are still supposed to look bulby on the end instead of skinny onion-like (I'm great with words, aren't I?). So I was left with these:

OK, so the onion situation in my kitchen may have gotten a bit out of control... 
I went to the plot around 8:30 and planted them, but it was too dark by then to take any pictures. I also planted 4 rhubarb plants that I picked up for free from someone on the Edible Ottawa Gardens Facebook group (score! I LOVE rhubarb) that have been living in plastic bags on my balcony for the past two weeks. I would have just waited until tomorrow to do it, but I thought it might rain overnight, which would be really good for them. 

My sister is going to come over again this weekend to help me out in the garden. I'd like to get the pea tepees set up and planted tomorrow, and also sow the lettuce, carrots, beats, spinach, and bush beans. And she did a phenomenal job digging trenches last time so perhaps she can put those skills to good use again...!

More updates on the way! Have a good long weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment